Yeah...It is a book about World War II...and it IS interesting.

Posted by Brittany Lasorella Saturday, December 18, 2010 8:49 AM
I've been gone for awhile...I apologize. I would explain to you what I've been doing and rattle off a few excuses like all bloggers do; but today I feel like being merciful so I will spare you.

Let's just say I've been reading.

A few weeks ago I wrote a nine page research paper on how to teach the Holocaust to high-school students. I know...please hold back your yawns or else I'll post the entire essay. The Holocaust is not a subject that most people enjoy studying. Yes, to my surprise the majority of the population finds it...(history buffs please plug your ears)...boring. But nevertheless it is a very important historical event that high-school students need to be acquainted with. But how do you grab their attention?
With stories. When a person can't absorb dates and names they can usually understand a story line. That's why the Diary of Anne Frank is required reading in school. Okay not the only reason; but be honest, how many of us only remember that book when asked about the holocaust? Biographies are good. But I recently found something else that I think is very educational and entertaining.
Historical Fiction.
I never thought I would say it; but it's true. Now, not the historical fiction that is basically a romance novel dropped into an important war or event; those do not count. (I will spare telling you what I think of that type of historical fiction...)I am talking about historical fiction with a point. Some authors have done an incredible job of giving an accurate picture of what took place, in a way that gives the reader a tangible essence of what that time was like. And they do it without cliches, without sappy story lines, and without gimmicks. This type of historical fiction should have a genre all it's own.
One book in particular has completely shattered the stereotype in my mind.
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne.

It's about...well, the Holocaust, if I told you any more I might ruin it. If you've seen the movie, I still encourage you to read the book. When I finished the last page I was literally blown away. The only words I could find were words like; brilliant, epic, who wrote this?, and does he have a Pulitzer?
The book itself is short, concise, and incredibly easy to read. You won't find a predictable endings, flashy storyline, or completely unnecessary plot. In fact, you won't find anything unnecessary. Boyne wastes no words.
You can pick up a paperback version of this book at Borders or Barns & Nobles for around $12, or if you're not into buying books the libraries are carrying multiple copies so you should have not trouble finding it there.