A Lesson on Strangers

Posted by Brittany Lasorella Monday, June 14, 2010 7:12 PM
Thursday, in the middle of the chaotic dinner rush, I had the opportunity to serve an adorable family of three. The little girl was probably four or five with the cutest curly red hair I have ever seen. I tried to calm down for a minute and not think about all the other tables waiting on me. I introduced myself, and asked how they were doing.
The little girl though, had other concerns, and promptly made a request for crayons. (I had forgotten them in my hurry.) I assured her I would have her crayons in just a minute. Her fears at ease, she now had time to be curious, which was obviously her nature.
"What's your name?" she asked. She'd apparently missed that part of my spiel while thinking about her crayon catastrophe.
"My name is Brittany," I repeated. "what's yours?"
She told me her name.
I thought it was a very unique and pretty name, and told her so.
Then I began taking orders and announcing specials (yes, all those other serving duties.)
"I know my favorite boy's name..." the little girl interrupted.
I found this too intriguing, I too, must be curious by nature. She promptly rattled off the longest Latino name I'd ever heard, which sounded even more exotic in her four year old accent. Her father appeared surprised at his daughters enunciation. I was impressed, it must have showed on my face. I laughed.
I tried my best to focus again on taking orders; but continued to listen to this extraordinary little girl out of the corner of my ear. (Yes, if eyes have corners, ears can have corners too.)
As I was waiting for her father's order I noticed her staring at me inquisitively.
"Hey...are you a stranger?" she asked.
I thought about it for a moment and nodded as I continued jotting down meal and dessert choices. Waitresses are strangers too I thought. The little girl thought about this and a look of terror swept across her innocent face.
"Mom!" she whispered as I walked away, "I thought we weren't supposed to talk to strangers!"
I laughed and went to get her crayons.
I wonder how her mom explained that one.