Illuminations by Josh Groban

Posted by Brittany Lasorella Friday, January 28, 2011 10:05 AM


I'm not much for going out and buying CD's when they're brand new. But when this one first hit the shelf at my local Starbucks I could feel the impulse buy creeping up in me from my toes to my wallet. Come on...It's the newest Josh Groban CD, I'd been waiting on it for like...a year!
Much to my surprise I restrained myself; thriftiness before artistic expression I suppose. I waited until somebody miraculously "guessed" that I wanted it for Christmas...they must know me so well.
I couldn't listen to it for a week. I was trying to savor it; after all it could be two years before the next one. Then I broke down and popped it in. I listened to the whole thing.
This album had some really stiff competition contending with his older ones, but I still enjoyed it. A few tracks were phenomenal. Others were underwhelming. But what do you expect when you've had two years to anticipate greatness. I prefer his album Awake; but for the Josh Groban enthusiast Illuminations is still a valuable part of a collection.
If you're not familiar with Groban's work though, I recommend starting out with Awake or one of his Live CD's. Those will stay in the favorites section of your iPod for another two years, don't worry.